What You Need to Know About HVAC UV Lights
Has your technician ever asked if you’d like an HVAC UV light installed inside your air conditioner? They claim this will prevent mold and mildew from getting into your home, and of course you don’t want that gunk in your space. But can a lighting system really help ease these concerns? Here are a few facts that might help you decide.
Two Types of HVAC UV Lights
- Coil Sterilization – A “stick type” light installed inside the return air duct near that sterilizes the air handler coil. A coil sterilization UV light runs 24/7 and is the most common type of HVAC UV light. It is also most reasonably priced.
- Air Sterilization – A complete UV light unit that sterilizes moving air. The UV light unit is installed in the return air duct and cycles on with the air handler blower.
Maintenance of HVAC UV Lights
A leading brand’s stick light bulbs are estimated to last 9000 hours, just over 1 year. Replacement bulbs typically cost from $70 – $120. Replacing the bulb during each annual HVAC service and maintenance is a simple task.
Indoor Air Quality Priorities – Mold and Bacteria
Mold and bacteria in HVAC units is an issue that shouldn’t be ignored. This contamination often contributes to building-related diseases, like infectious diseases, allergic rhinitis, asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. But UV lights can be used in a variety of applications, including air purification. The UV light can help eliminate many types of fungi, bacteria, germs, viruses and pathogens.
Benefits of an HVAC UV Light
- Control mold and bacteria
- Reduce colds and flus – germs are not re-circulated by HVAC system
- Reduce smells / odors
- Remove VOCs
- Are more effective in humid climates than dry climates
- Reduces clogging in condensate drain lines by preventing algae growth.
- Maintain a cleaner coil, improving cooling efficiency and reducing electricity costs.
If you would like to know more about HVAC UV lights, contact Air Hawk Heating and Cooling at 727-SAME DAY or visit www.AirHawkAC.com. We will be happy to answer any of your questions or concerns.